Oh, hello you! I know so many people who love cake but are scared to make one as they don't realise just how easy it is! As a student, I don't always have access to the correct utensils for baking, but there are so many great substitues lying around our houses which are great for baking. I have discovered that a jar is one such perfect item! So now not being able to afford new bakewear is no excuse for lack of cake! After reading this tutorial, there will be cake virginities popping all over the shop (or kitchen, as it were!), and thanks to Mr Pringle, we all know that once you pop, you can't stop! So what are you waiting for? Get your bake on!
3 pint-sized jars
175g self-raising flour
175g caster sugar
175g unsalted butter
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
2. Mix the flour, sugar, eggs and butter in a mixing bowl and HALF-FILL the jars. (Make sure you keep the rims clean.)
3. Bake for 10 minutes, then check. If they are not done, keep baking and check every 5/10 minutes.
4. While the cakes are baking, put your jar lids in a cup of boiling water (this will sterilise them and help them seal).
5. When the cakes are baked, take one jar out at a time, add the hot lid and screw on your jar ring then let it set and cool, then enjoy!
Once you've got the hang of this, try experimenting with different flavours and food colourings. Rainbow cake, anyone?? :)